Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Best of 2009

I know everyone is debating over AVATAR or THE HURT LOCKER for Best Picture, and if either wins it will be deserved.  But since these are my own personal picks, I'm going with UP IN THE AIR as my favorite of the year.  I just love this movie - I thought it was excellent in every aspect - writing, directing and acting.  I do think that Jason Reitman may be talented.

Jeff Bridges is amazing in CRAZY HEART but since these are my personal preferences I'm going with Colin Firth.  Mostly because I think Tom Ford is so beyond hot, and I don't care if I lose credibility because of that.  And as I said in my brief review of JULIE & JULIA, Meryl Streep is a revelation.  She continues to blow me away with her amazing acting abilities.  The fact that she can go from a role like Sister Aloysius in DOUBT to Julia Child, just shows how incredibly talented she really is.

I decided to go with Kathryn Bigelow for Best Director.  Not only does she deserve to win it, I think it's about damn time a woman wins this award.  Jane Campion came the closest but I do think Spielberg rightfully won that year.  And I know everyone is saying INGLOURIOUS will win for Best Original Screenplay, but I'm rooting for THE HURT LOCKER.  Quentin may be a genius filmmaker, but I just think he knows this a little TOO much and may be full of himself.  I'm pulling for the underdog.

Best Picture:
UP IN THE AIR

Best Actor:
Colin Firth, A SINGLE MAN

Best Actress:
Meryl Streep, JULIE & JULIA

Best Supporting Actor:
Christoph Waltz, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

Best Supporting Actress:
Mo'Nique, PRECIOUS

Best Director:
Kathryn Bigelow, THE HURT LOCKER

Best Screenplay:
Mark Boal, THE HURT LOCKER (original)
Jason Reitman & Sheldon Turner, UP IN THE AIR (adapted)

Best Animated:
UP

Best Foreign Language:
THE WHITE RIBBON

No comments:

Post a Comment