Monday, February 1, 2010

Thank you, Julie Powell

I finally got around to watching JULIE & JULIA, because I didn't feel like paying $14 to see it at the Arclight when it was in theaters and it was the next movie on my blockbuster.com cue. I was mixed about the movie overall. I thought it was pumped with a little too much estrogen - and I'm very estrogen-friendly. In fact, I probably have more estrogen than some of my female friends. Not to be crude, but I felt like Nora Ephron was rubbing her vagina in my face in some parts. I thought Julie was a little too whiny and both male romantic leads were a little too "sensitive". But on the bright side, Meryl Streep is an absolute revelation. President Obama should name her a national treasure and we should have annual Meryl Streep appreciation days. It sometimes shocks me how well she can act - her intonation, her reflection - it's all perfection.

Also on the bright side, I walked away from this movie with something very important. Inspiration. Julie Powell has inspired me to also write a blog, because I've also been bored and stagnant lately. But my passion is not food - it's movies. I've loved movies ever since I was very young. My father is a conservative, Republican, stoic Asian man - so you can guess that we pretty much have nothing in common. But I remember one day, I think I was about 10 years old, we sat down one weekend afternoon and watched HIGH NOON together. My father loves old westerns, especially ones with John Wayne in them. I remember watching the scene where the clock strikes noon, and Gary Cooper is all alone. After everything he had done for that town to keep it safe, how could none of them come to his aid? My father and I bonded for the first time over that powerful moment and I've loved movies ever since. Not to sound cheesy, but I think film has the power to get people together who think very differently.

I have to think of something clever like Julie to blog about in relation to film, but in the meantime I can blog about Hollywood's biggest event - the Oscars. Here are my predictions for tomorrow's announcement of this year's nominations. I'm in a bitter competition with my archenemy Cinescapist, who is also a cinephile. We've been betting on the predictions with a small tracking board we're both on for the last 3 years, and although it's been very close I've lost to him all 3 years. This will be my year of redemption!

Best Picture
AVATAR
CRAZY HEART
THE HURT LOCKER
INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
INVICTUS
NINE
PRECIOUS
A SERIOUS MAN
UP
UP IN THE AIR

Best Actor
Jeff Bridges, CRAZY HEART
George Clooney, UP IN THE AIR
Colin Firth, A SINGLE MAN
Morgan Freeman, INVICTUS
Viggo Mortensen, THE ROAD

Best Actress
Emily Blunt, THE YOUNG VICTORIA
Sandra Bullock, THE BLIND SIDE
Helen Mirren, THE LAST STATION
Carey Mulligan, AN EDUCATION
Meryl Streep, JULIE & JULIA

Best Supporting Actor:
Woody Harrelson, THE MESSENGER
Anthony Mackie, THE HURT LOCKER
Christopher Plummer, THE LAST STATION
Stanley Tucci, THE LOVELY BONES
Christoph Waltz, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

Best Supporting Actress
Penelope Cruz, NINE
Vera Farmiga, UP IN THE AIR
Anna Kendrick, UP IN THE AIR
Diane Kruger, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
Mo'Nique, PRECIOUS

Best Director
Kathryn Bigelow, THE HURT LOCKER
James Cameron, AVATAR
Clint Eastwood, INVICTUS
Jason Reitman, UP IN THE AIR
Quentin Tarantino, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

Best Original Screenplay
THE HANGOVER
THE HURT LOCKER
INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
A SERIOUS MAN
UP

Best Adapted Screenplay
CRAZY HEART
DISTRICT 9
AN EDUCATION
INVICTUS
UP IN THE AIR

1 comment:

  1. I lost, yet again, to my archenemy Cinescapist by a score of 42-37. Let's hope I can make a comeback for the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete