Sunday, February 28, 2010

MPL Awards 2006

There are also no big surprises here.  I love DREAMGIRLS (I do enjoy my musicals), and debated for a long time whether or not to include it in my Best Picture picks - but I do have some issues with the movie.  I also think LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA is excellent, so it was a really tough call.  After much debate, I went with Clint - it's such a powerful story and he did an amazing job interpreting it.

I was confused with what acting nominations to give THE DEPARTED.  I guess SAG gave Leo lead for BLOOD DIAMOND and supporting for THE DEPARTED?  If we had to deliberate I would agree with the Golden Globes and give him lead for both.  I also think he's good in both, so it's hard to choose between the two.  But if I have to make a Sophie's Choice, I'm leaning toward the performance directed by Scorsese.  And I think Djimon Hounsou, not Leo, is the standout in BLOOD DIAMOND.

And then only Mark Wahlberg ended up getting the Oscar nom for supporting?  I just don't think he had a substantial enough role - the interrogation scene with Leo and Alec Baldwin is awesome, but I feel he kinda disappears after that until the end.  Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I think Jack Nicholson's role is much meatier, and like always he is amazing in it.  So in the end I went with Leo for Best Actor and Jack for Best Supporting Actor, and I'm standing by it.

I think Ryan Gosling is great in HALF NELSON, but the movie as a whole didn't impress me as much and I am reluctant to give him a nod.  I debated about Sasha Baron Cohen in BORAT for a bit, because I do think his comedic acting is just as hard as dramatic acting (if not harder) - but then I came to my senses.  THANK YOU FOR SMOKING is smart, funny and thought provoking - and I eventually chose Aaron Eckhart for the last slot, mainly because I liked his performance and the movie more than the others in contention.

I also had a long debate about Jackie Earl Haley.  Like with Wahlberg, I just don't think his role is substantial enough to get a nom.  Yes, he has the powerful scene in the end with that annoying retired cop Larry involving scissors.  But is that enough?  I personally don't think so.  I decided to go with Michael Sheen, who I thought was totally shafted for his role in THE QUEEN.  He held his own against Helen Mirren's amazing performance, which in my opinion was definitely not that easy to pull off.


Best Picture
BABEL
THE DEPARTED
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
THE QUEEN

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio, THE DEPARTED
Aaron Eckhart, THANK YOU FOR SMOKING
Peter O'Toole, VENUS
Will Smith, THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS
Forest Whitaker, THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND

Best Actress
Penelope Cruz, VOLVER
Judi Dench, NOTES ON A SCANDAL
Helen Mirren, THE QUEEN
Meryl Streep, THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA
Kate Winslet, LITTLE CHILDREN

Best Supporting Actor
Alan Arkin, LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
Djimon Hounsou, BLOOD DIAMOND
Eddie Murphy, DREAMGIRLS
Jack Nicholson, THE DEPARTED
Michael Sheen, THE QUEEN

Best Supporting Actress
Adriana Barraza, BABEL
Cate Blanchett, NOTES ON A SCANDAL
Abigail Breslin, LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
Jennifer Hudson, DREAMGIRLS
Rinko Kikuchi, BABEL

Best Director
Clint Eastwood, LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
Stephen Frears, THE QUEEN
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, BABEL
Paul Greengrass, UNITED 93
Martin Scorsese, THE DEPARTED

Best Original Screenplay
BABEL
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
PAN'S LABYRINTH
THE QUEEN

Best Adapted Screenplay
CHILDREN OF MEN
THE DEPARTED
DREAMGIRLS
LITTLE CHILDREN
NOTES ON A SCANDAL

No comments:

Post a Comment